Friday, January 16, 2009

1st quarter memior

                                                                             My Dog Emma


    “Mariah come here!” My mom yelled form the kitchen.
I ran out of the family room and into the kitchen.
    “Yeah, Mom?” I asked
 “ Can you go get your sisters?”
    “Why?” I asked
    “Were getting a surprise.” she said.        
I jumped up and down and begged her to tell me. She said finally said “ I guess so. Were getting a puppy.”
I screamed. My mom covered her ears and told me to get my sisters and get in the car to pick up the puppy. I ran out of the kitchen, past the dining room and into the hallway leading to the staircase. I yelled up the stair guys come on get in the car!”
    “What is  going on?” They asked
    “Were getting a puppy!!!” I yelled.
They screamed. Loud. They ran downstairs and bolted into the car. We talked about it for the whole ride. Then we got to the owner of the puppies which we would be choosing from.

     We all got out of the car and walked up the stairs to their front door. My little sister Jenna knocked on the door, and a kind looking lady opened the door and my family and me walked in. The woman introduced her self as Susan. We all told her our names, and she guided us over to a corner and I smiled at the little black lab puppies staring up at my family and me. Susan's house was large and had a cozy feeling to it. We had to be quiet though because her daughters were sleeping. Susan talked to us about the puppies and even showed us the mother, the dad, and even the grandparent dogs of the puppies! Susan asked if we would like to hold them and we said yes. Jenna was the first one to rush forward and pick up the nearest one to her. She walked over to the corner and played with it. My older sister Nicole picked up the smallest one and started petting her. My mom, dad, and I each picked one up and played with them.

    After a while we switched with each other. We each took turns holding each one seeing which one we admired the most and which one admired us the most. We played with and held each of the puppies for half an hour then my parents, my sisters, and I all agreed that we liked the biggest one of the bunch. I picked her up and Susan gave us the chosen puppy's papers, a collar and a leash. We thanked her and went out to the car with our new puppy.

        During the whole car ride we tried to come up with  the perfect name. Jenna suggested Cocoa because she was a black lab, but we disagreed. Nicole suggested Daisy, but not everyone wanted to name the new puppy Daisy. We all tried out numerous names when finally my dad asked my mom what she thought would be a good name. My mom thought for a moment then said “ What about Emma? I always liked the name Emma.” We all agreed with her and the decision was made. Our new puppy's name was Emma.

    The rest of the way home we took turns holding and admiring Emma. I thought she was adorable. She licked our faces and snuggled with us. Her fur was a shiny pitch black, and very soft and silky. We were glad we had chosen Emma; she was a great choice. She was kind, friendly and adorable. I loved holding her; she was so friendly and warm.

    When we got home I carried her inside. My mom opened the door for me and I set her down.  George, our other puppy was right there waiting for us at the front door. He saw Emma and looked at her with  a curious look on his face, and she did the same. George ran off. Emma looked upset, but George came back with a tennis ball in his mouth. Emma was so happy that when she wagged her tale her whole back moved (she does that a lot!). I took the ball and threw it across the kitchen. George and Emma both raced towards the bright green ball, but George got it first, so Emma picked up one of George's squeaky toys and played with that. We were all tired so we decided we would all go to bed. My parents walked to their room and George followed them. Me and my sisters walked upstairs to our rooms and Emma followed me into mine. I let her sleep on my bed with me and she fell asleep instantly. I fell asleep soon after.
   
    The next morning I woke up. I was so happy when I rolled over and Emma was sitting their wagging her tail. I smiled and pet her silky warm fur. Her wagging tail made a soft thumping sound on my the purple comforter i was lying under. I smiled and got up. I carefully picked up Emma's small but heavy body. She was heavier than she looked! I walked into the kitchen, set down Emma and greeted everyone. Jenna fed the dogs and we all ate the breakfast my mom had made. She had made scrambled eggs and toast, with some orange juice. I finished eating and ran upstairs to read this new book I had gotten called Edge.
   

    After I was finished reading I went downstairs with Emma. Then we all went outside and took Emma and George for a walk. They ran around the field and chased each other in the green grass that was still covered in dew from the early morning. My sisters and I played fetch with them. They both raced after the ball and brought it back, but i had a hard time trying to get it from them. In all I think we stayed out side for about an hour.
   
    We were all and still glad to have chosen Emma. My dad now says we should have named her 'happy' because whenever someone pats her or calls her name she wags her tail and her whole back wiggles from side to side along with her head. Sometimes I think her back can touch her nose! Emma and George are best friends and they enjoy each others company as much as we enjoy theirs. I am glad we got Emma she can be a bit too energetic sometimes, but she's only a puppy! I think she was a great choice and so does everyone else.

No comments: